As so many “highly successful people” are labeled A-Type, it is natural people would want to be aligned with it – it makes them feel full of potential. There are some good reasons to tame that aspiration,though.
Long ago, the virtues were chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience, kindness and humility. Not today. Today, and every day – all day long, in fact – the various media thrust thousands of images of money and power at us.
They lure us into believing the new virtues are ambition, competitiveness, drive, organization, power, control and productivity. By definition, an A-Type personality is someone with too much of those, but society wants us to believe it’s smart to be a “workaholic.”
This mindset is echoed in the results of the Genie quiz [you can take it HERE]. Many people claim enormous endurance – in the planning and perfecting, commitment, order, perseverance and discipline to get things done and done right. Their Genie is The Producer.
According to the BusinessDictionary.com, A-Types are “characterized by excessive ambition, aggression, competitiveness, drive, impatience, need for control, focus on quantity over quality and unrealistic sense of urgency.”
This is an out of control Producer Genie. Having an A-Type personality is an indicator that your Producer Genie has taken charge and is pushing too hard and doing too much.
It is time to recognize that Endurance is not the only quality in your arsenal of tools. Dump the A-Type personality and choose to work smarter not harder.
Here’s how some of the other qualities might help you do just that:
- Think different. By using logic, your intellect and common sense, you can find shortcuts or alternative ways of doing things. Analyze what you are doing, find out what others do, and figure out what you can do differently. This is the quality of Consciousness.
- Be open. Habits and being set in our ways often makes us blind to little things that could lighten our load. Decide there is a better way and go looking for it. This is the quality of Optimism.
- Be creative. Tap into your objective, let go of your attachment to “how” things need to be done and find a totally new way of achieving them. This is the quality of Ingenuity.
- Get help. Connect with others who can support you or lighten your load in some way. Get advice or assistance. Engaging others often not only helps you, but offers them the opportunity to excel or feel valued. This is the quality of Honor at play.
- Treat yourself to an experience. A-Typers are more likely to suffer stress-related ailments and thus have shorter life-expectancy. However, research shows that the awe in our experiencing art, nature or spirituality actually reduces many of those ailments and increases your lifespan. This is the quality of Enchantment.
If you want to find out more about how you can master your genie, CLICK HERE.
One quick thought for my B-Type personality readers: if your life is not all you want it to be yet, perhaps you need to bring in a little of the quality of Endurance!
Author: Sue Hines
Image courtesy of iosphere at FreeDigitalPhotos.net