Everyone hits a wall at some time. Motivation is not a constant.
There are tools you can use to get the zest back faster, to reawaken the hunger for your goals – hunger big enough that it gets you moving quickly and effectively.
We get discouraged, get stuck because we do not know the next best move, face the gremlins of “not [having or being] enough,” or simply running out of inspiration or enthusiasm.
How do you get get your jazz back QUICKLY, before you crash completely?
We can’t avoid the bumps in the road, but there is a lot we can do to make sure that we don’t get stuck on them.
If you’re self-employed, an entrepreneur, or own a business, sustaining motivation and momentum is critical.
Drawing on my completely original model that guides people to recognize and understand their motivation and inspiration, I offer some ways of minimizing the motivation downtime slump.
How well they work for you depends on your motivation style, your Genie.The motivation styles are identified through a 5 minute quiz that is the result of 35 years of research and experience. If you haven’t already done so, you can take it HERE.
[It is different from other assessment tools like Myers Briggs and DiSC that focus on behavior as it shows people how tap into why they behave as they do and to consciously direct what they do.]
If you are:
- Pulling back from others, not wanting to interact or talk because you you don’t have anything new or worthwhile to report or you don’t want to answer the question “How are things going?”…
- Brooding or ruminating over things you wish were different…
- Trapped and frustrated because you’re bored…
Violate your urge to hibernate! Get out, reach out, and start talking about what is going on for you.
This often works for people with the Reflector, Executor or Trendsetter Genie.
If you are:
- Wound up or becoming impatient and irritable with yourself or others and are constantly on the attack or defending your position…
- Frustrated because things are not working or not working fast enough and you’re wondering if it is even worth trying anymore…
- Feeling rebellious and ready to say “Go stick it!…”
Then: Break it down
Carve out steps and effective detours or alternatives that will move you forward. Get over the idea of “all or nothing” – life seldom works like that.
This can be an effective tactic for those who have the Defender, Producer or Inventor Genies.
If you are:
- Having trouble staying focused, drifting off task, or forgetting to do things you really intended to…
- Overwhelmed by all you have to do and the pressure from others on your time…
- Losing interest or enthusiasm for the project/s in front of you and find yourself doing as little as possible…
Then: Escape and feed you!
Give yourself the gift of a defined amount of private time to do something you really love to do, but it must be constructive or creative.
People with the Interpreter, Relater or Sage Genie benefit from this type of reconnection with their selves.
Did you get some ideas for yourself?
You can find out more about MASTERING YOUR GENIE HERE .
Author: Sue Hines
Image courtesy of stockimages at FreeDigitalPhotos.net