It’s Dead Simple!
We do tend to make life terribly complicated for ourselves. Stepping back to gain a fresh perspective often reveals basic truths.
I spent some time on the weekend, looking through some notes I made while listening to a webinar series about a year ago. Each speaker had spoken about a different area of life – relationships, work-life-balance… yada-yada. As I flipped through the notes I realized the pattern common to all the stories about how to be successful.
This pattern is a simple and elegant, and a completely infallible way to achieve success – at anything!
It is so simple, in fact, that I have called it “The ABCs of Success”.
A is for Activate
This is about more than starting, it is about galvanizing.The verb “galvanize” means to cause (people) to become so excited or concerned about an issue, idea, etc., that they want to do something about it (Merriam-Websters). [By the way, I am really good at helping people with this!]
To be successful at something nearly always means putting in effort and facing challenges. So, if you want to be successful at something, you have to really, really want it, to have what Napoleon Hill calls a “burning desire.”
Activating this want and desire, includes, among other things, 3 important components:
- Get clear on what it is. Clarity is everything. It sets the context that will frame every decision you will make on your journey. Take the time to weed out the non-essentials and get down to a crisp, clear notion of what you want to achieve
- Focus all your energy on building the passion for it. Build up that want, that desire so you fall in love with it – so the excitement of it keeps you awake at night
- Name it, label it, vision board it – do everything you can to bring it into sharp focus. Write it on sticky notes and paste them everywhere. Write it on your mirror. Type it up, print it out and frame it.
B is for Begin
Nothing comes from nothing. Get started. I have specific exercises for you if you are a “WhenI” (see my post about that here).
The controversial Tim Blixeth said:” Many great ideas go unexecuted, and many great executioners are without ideas. One without the other is worthless.” If you have done the Activation part right, you will not be able to live with the idea of “worthless.”
- Lay out a plan and a timetable. Open up your calendar and figure out the dates. Don’t wing it. Be specific. And write it down. Even if your aim is relationships, make a plan.
- Set SMART goals. What is success? Websters again: “the correct or desired result of an attempt.” You can only feel success if you have a desired result. that might take years, decades even. Specific, measurable, actionable/attainable, realistic, timed goals along the way will keep you succeeding.
- Start acting on your goals.
C is for Carry On
You can only say you have failed if you give up trying, so this is the “dirty little secret” to success: Keep trying! By embracing the motto that you will carry on, you are guaranteeing that you will not fail.
Don’t let some false belief hold you back like I did (read about it here).
- You will meet obstacles. it is the nature of life. “The more important a call or action is to our soul’s evolution, the more Resistance we will feel toward pursuing it” said Steven Pressfield. You may have to make a course-correction, change direction some, but if your vision is crisp and strong in your heart, these will merely be tactical changes.
- Revisit “A”, frequently. Activate and re-Activate your passion and desire for where you are going. When you are in the thick of things, fighting fires and coping with real life problems, it is easy to lose sight of your objective. That is when most people get really hard on themselves if they forget to go back to “A” and collect their regular infusion of passion.
- Recognize and acknowledge the smallest wins. Celebrate them, but don’t let them make you complacent. Rather, let them build your confidence and inspire you.
I know its really cheeky to say this, but these ABCs of Success sum up just about every self-help or How To book out there and are probably all you ever really need to be a success at anything in life: Activate, Begin, Carry on.
Where do you get stuck, A, B or C?
What works to get you un-stuck? The motivation profiles of the Genies offer tools and solutions to get you focused or back on track. Master your Genie, get it working on your wishes, and success will be that much easier!
Go ahead – Find Your Genie HERE (It’s free to discover).